The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is warning climatic conditions have sparked an increase in wild fungus growing in gardens, forests and fields across the UK where pets may be walking.

More than 4,000 species of fungi are present in the UK, it said, adding: “The fruit body, being the visible part, is the part most likely to be ingested. Fungal fruit bodies are variable in shape, size and colour, therefore making the identification of particular fungi very difficult.

“While the majority of fungi species are non-toxic, some species can be very dangerous and even cause fatalities.”

The VPIS statement says: “Although severe toxicity is uncommon in the UK, as a general rule, where toxic species have been ingested, the sooner the onset of clinical effects, the less toxic the fungi.

We request that owners collect a sample of potential fungus that your pet may have eaten, and we will send a sample to The Fungus Conservation Trust, but please handle the sample carefully, wearing gloves, and store it in a paper bag, not plastic.

Article courtesy of The Vet Times

Thank you Fiona, Chloe, Linda, Emma and of course Maxine – on reception – for looking after Beamish


Manor Farm Vets icon
Book an Online Appointment

Book an Online Appointment

Manor Farm Vets are making it even easier for you to book an appointment by offering a simple and convenient online booking system
Spring has Sprung

Spring has Sprung

The warmer weather of spring and longer days bring with them concerns for your pets

© Manor Farm Vets Ltd New Road Warminster Wiltshire BA12 0NS United Kingdom Tel 01985 850752
Designed & maintained by Vetwebsites