The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is warning climatic conditions have sparked an increase in wild fungus growing in gardens, forests and fields across the UK where pets may be walking.
More than 4,000 species of fungi are present in the UK, it said, adding: “The fruit body, being the visible part, is the part most likely to be ingested. Fungal fruit bodies are variable in shape, size and colour, therefore making the identification of particular fungi very difficult.
“While the majority of fungi species are non-toxic, some species can be very dangerous and even cause fatalities.”
The VPIS statement says: “Although severe toxicity is uncommon in the UK, as a general rule, where toxic species have been ingested, the sooner the onset of clinical effects, the less toxic the fungi.
We request that owners collect a sample of potential fungus that your pet may have eaten, and we will send a sample to The Fungus Conservation Trust, but please handle the sample carefully, wearing gloves, and store it in a paper bag, not plastic.
Thank you Fiona, Chloe, Linda, Emma and of course Maxine – on reception – for looking after Beamish
Our classes are a fun way of socialising your puppy in a controlled safe environment. Classes run on a Tuesday between 12.30 and 13.30, they run for 3 consecutive weeks in our reception
VACCINATION AMNESTY – You only pay for the first vaccination and we give you the second vaccination free of charge!
Well done Amy for all your hard work and dedication on achieving your RVN